Integrally cast chains

• 3 replies

Offline The Rusty Gear

• Casting is Fun!
Integrally cast chains
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:39:28 AM »
In Portland, we used to cast chains for drag lines etc. The links can be taller than I am. I couldn't figure out how they cast these chains until I saw it myself. You cast half of the links seperately and place them into a mould with the cavities for the remaining links. The connecting links are then cast around the existing ones, making a continuous chain!

Offline 1977Impala

• World Famous
Re: Integrally cast chains
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
I know this is old  but that is pretty fing neat, I too always wondered how they made em like they did ..lol I could just picture some guy sitting there welding em all together all day..lol
"Ten six niner! Ten six niner!, We've got whores in the city, we
need back up now!

Offline The Rusty Gear

• Casting is Fun!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
I know this is old  but that is pretty fing neat, I too always wondered how they made em like they did ..lol I could just picture some guy sitting there welding em all together all day..lol

It was tough for me to wrap my head around it until I saw them put the moulds together! Very complex multi part sandmould, but as you said, it sure beats the **** out of trying to weld together some 1' thick chain! We did make weld-in replacement links, but most customers had a chain or two on hand and would rather swap out a new chain than repair the old one!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:19:32 AM by The Rusty Gear »

Offline rusty

• Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
I've said it before that is so neat. It also explains a lot of things that confused me about those chains.
Tool do job=Good tool

A 'Veteran'is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made
payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and
including his life.'